- How and when did Made by ME get started?
Made by ME has been 20+yrs in the making. I have been fortunate to work with some amazing chefs in my life, allowing me to hone my skills and share my chocolate creations with my customers. In 2013, a friend of mine, Mo Haff, who owns Sweet Magnolia in Glenside where I grew up, offered me space to sell my chocolates in her boutique store. That’s where Made by ME Chocolates got started!
- Why did you name it “Made by ME”?
It started with my parents (laughs). Fortunately for me, my initials are “ME”. I tested the “Made by ME” name with some initial products. Some got the connection between my name, MaryEllen, and the initials in “Made by ME”, and some didn’t. When it clicked, we all would laugh.
- Who is involved in running your business?
It is just me right now. I am small enough at this time that I can be completely hands on, between production, marketing and anything else that comes with running my business.
- What do the customers love the most from your menu?
Peanut butter bark. It is made with creamy peanut butter and salt roasted peanuts, enrobed in milk chocolate. I wanted to make an adult version of a favorite childhood candy.
- Are you working on releasing any new items?
Yes, you’ll have to stop by and see what’s being created!
- What do you find to be the most challenging part of your business?
Marketing. I love what I do and know how to create Handmade Gourmet Chocolates and amenities, but when it comes to reaching the masses, it’s little more challenging.
- What gets you up in the morning?
Tea, I love tea!
- What excites you to come to work?
The customers. Oh, I also get to play with chocolate, enough said!
- If you could say one thing to your customers, what would it be?
- Do you have any tips for people trying to make chocolate at home?
Be patient, chocolate can be very temperamental and time consuming, but the end result can be amazing.
- What do you enjoy eating when you’re not eating chocolate?
Anything that someone else makes me!
- What do you like to do for fun?
- List fun facts about yourself.
I love to dance!
I am also a foodie and am somewhat of an adventurous eater (if it’s something new to me, maybe not tell me what it is before I eat it). I have been fortunate to travel with my profession and have been surrounded by some extremely talented chefs and I figured I may never be in this part of the country/world again or work with this chef again, so take the time to enjoy what is in the moment.